[theforum] [Fwd: [Content] Feedback: Please remove my name]

Joel D Canfield joel at streamliine.com
Wed Nov 7 12:06:53 CST 2007

> My suggestion is simple: tell them to get stuffed. Once you
> have posted
> something to a public list (such as thelist), you can't
> revoke it later - it's already out there.

Which approach is likely to garner greater support from the community at
large, and future potential members of the community: this, or "sure,
we'd love to help" ? I prefer the latter.

If this is just an occasional request, we should do what we can to keep
the content, without needing to identify the author. But if someone
insists that their entire post be removed along with their name,
sometimes the needs of an individual outweigh the immediate perceived
benefit to the community.

I know for myself that if the official stance of evolt.org were
uncooperative instead of helpful, I wouldn't be here.

If, on the other hand, we're deluged with so many requests to remove
content that it'll seriously damage the site, archives, whatever, we
have a bigger (and completely different) problem.

joel