[theforum] [Fwd: Re: [thechat] evolt maps (prep for 10volt)] + summary

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Aug 10 14:59:49 CDT 2008

Hey, *knock knock!* is this thing on? WAKE UP!!!

It's Erika! and if you don't know me I have been in and out of Evolt
since about 1999.  Wait, you have to get jumped out, right?  so I never
left... anyhooooo

So first off, HI!!!

Ok, the quick summary is, it occurred to me that my two fondest web
groups are turning 10 this year, Portland Oregon Women on the Web
(poww.net) and...drumroll...EVOLT.org.  Started a thread on the chat,
and we are thinking 10volt is around Dec 2008.

um. So. I thought we should Do Something.  In part to celebrate our
survival, and also because it's a great opportunity for PR, to get
people involved, get people excited, and to write evolt.org more firmly
into interweb history.

I offered to put together a 10 year history/retrospective collected from
communal knowledge, feeling confident that I could tender areas with the
diplomacy learned from recent years of dealing with exploding rock n'
roll rhythm sections...

And another idea was to encourage a bunch of mini-evolticons, get people
connected to their local evolters that way.

What do you think?

Anyway, the local-evolticon idea, led to the idea of a location map that
people could contribute to.... and me wondering, could we get a map ON
evolt.org, which we could use to drive traffic to the site, and
hopefully rekindle interest in the site, writing for the site, etc etc
etc etc...  apparently Martin was working on one but there would need to
be some updates made to get it functional on the site... does it seem
like a good idea?  Can we?

I'm very excited about 10volt and ready to get my evolt-angalism on...

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Erika

--------
Erika wrote:

Frappr requires a login, it looks like.
Could Martin's map be/work on evolt.org?

Can we decide on a map and go with it?
Then I'll push for people to use it...

I personally am suffering from a serious case social networking burnout
and am loathe to sign on to yet another site (like frappr).  Also, I
think that we should(?) be driving traffic to evolt.org.

Can we put a map on evolt.org?

Erika

Martin Burns wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2008, at 15:57, Matt Warden wrote:
>
>>> I'd love to do something; without y'all I wouldna survived
>>>
>>> just don't know what, when, or how.
>> Do we still have that google map thingy that shows where we are all
>> located? Or could we create one, maybe? That could be a starting
>> point...
>
> There's a Google Map thingy on the site redesign I did:
> http://weo.easyweb.co.uk/users/map
>
> It's Drupal module - dunno if it works with recent Drupal versions
>
> Martin
>
> --
>  > Spammers: Send me email -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk to train my filter
>  > http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com/

> Got RSS? Add your feed to http://planet.evolt.org/
> See also #evolt on irc.evolt.org and http://spool.evolt.org.uk/
> ____
>
> Please support the community that supports you. Give your bit to
> evolt.org at: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

thechat: bovine by-products and MP3s

thechat at lists.evolt.org