[theforum] evolt.org article submission

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed Oct 1 10:36:50 CDT 2008

Hi Erika,

"Erika" <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:

> Next question: does weo have a "mom"?

eh?

> I have an article to submit and can't get to an active submission page.

When you're logged in, don't you see the "Submit an article" link in the
left-hand menu, below your username?  I can recall several people over the
last couple years (since the redesign and our move to Drupal) express
frustration in figuring out how to submit an article, but I never
understood why.

Seems obvious to me.  If it isn't to everyone, I'd certainly *love* to
improve the usability of the site, especially if it might attract more
articles of substance being submitted!  Lately all we've been getting is
spams, scams and self-promotional so-called "articles" from SEO and
ringtone marketing types... {sigh}

> I am frustrated by the amount of dead links and outdated information.

Yes I saw your email from Monday.  Yes you can help!  Would you like to
join the Content team?

> I'm wondering why there are links everywhere to a directory that no
> longer exists?
>
> and *can I do anything to help* with this, other than complain?

As Martin pointed out, we review and approve articles (but as I mentioned,
mostly we dis-approve of most of them, these days) and we certainly could
use someone enthusiastic about tidying up some of the cruft!

> I don't know if you guys have tried to actually use the site lately, but
> it's pretty rot-riddled.

I hardly use the site, per se.  I mostly just read the mailing lists and
monitor the article submissions (hoping for one that is about -- you know,
web development).  When I do find myself on the evolt website, it's usually
because I googled some web development term, looking for an answer to some
obscure CSS question or HTML technique, and Google found it for me in an
article on weo, or a message in the mailing list archives on leo! :-)

> Thanks,

Thank you!

-dave