[theforum] improve w.e.o, first items

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 16:01:22 CDT 2008

On 10 Oct 2008, at 21:19, Erika wrote:

> From what I can see we need:
>
> - Q&A on site usability, link rot, etc
> - software updates
> - someone who can make our chose theme work in Drupal
> - a "wow!" better visual design

Plus:
Thoughts about what could work better/be useful functionality *for
which there are Drupal modules* (or you're prepared to write and
maintain Drupal modules and ideally contribute them back to the Drupal
community. And when I say maintain, I mean: to the level of
maintenance of other published modules, including proper security
updates)

I had some thoughts which are on the Colophon of my version:
http://weo.easyweb.co.uk/colophon

Stuff I'd really like to get done:
1) Wider 'explain evolt' intro for the home page (NB we can have
different pages for logged in users and anon - that's easy with Drupal)
2) Folksonomy tagging
3) Google Map of members tied into their profile
4) 'Post this to Digg/Reddit/etc' links on articles
5) Better differentiation between new and Featured ('Sticky') articles.
6) Better h1-h6 hierarchy - I'm really happy to use the mollio.com
styles... http://weo.easyweb.co.uk/node/2 as long as we fix forms!

For visual style, I'll say it again: I really don't want something
uber-glossy as a high priority goal - I fundamentally don't believe
the explanation in ALA's 10th anniversary spiel as the site appears to
be far more front-end focused than the article suggests. I would
rather something that echoes the variety of what evolters do, than
make backender folks feel that this isn't a place for them.

(Sidebar: why the hell *haven't* we had more Rails/Django/etc people
active in our community? Why *are* we so tightly focused round the
very small business scale (not that that scale is bad, but why don't
we have more from a wider variety of sizes)? Why do people who have
been in the industry a while generally move on, so hard/complex
questions rarely get answered?)

*Some* reference to the current style so it's at least recognisably
the same place would be nice.