[theforum] milestones... nudge, nudge

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 01:52:25 CDT 2008

On 17 Oct 2008, at 05:25, David Kaufman wrote:

> Extract, Transform & Load, eh?  At work we do that constantly, for
> nearly
> every client project, and amazingly we've never used the term...
>
> TLA's (three letter acronyms) have this way of saying too much about
> the
> people who use them... Martin's clearly been involved in too many
> system
> "migration" projects :-)

heh - yes! I have the rash to prove it!

That said, the normal usage of ETL is in an integration context - you
have information about customers in 5 different systems, each of which
stores data in a different way (and is potentially on totally
different kit). ETL lets you consolidate it all in a common format,
with cleansing and de-duping on the way, usually to a datamart of some
kind.

You can do this in a batch mode, or in real-time.