[theforum] milestones... nudge, nudge

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 14:48:16 CDT 2008

On 17 Oct 2008, at 20:34, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Just wanted to point out that y'all made that sound a bit breezy.
> In practice, ETL can be one of the 'heavy lifting' areas where all
> manner of fugly fuzzy-logic matching, multigrain consolidations, day-
> over-day differencing, and algorithmic derivations get added to your
> dataset.

I saw a nice infographic t'other day... ah, here it is:
http://www.computerworld.com/computerworld/records/images/story/Data.gif

> On the plus side there is that great look you get when you patiently
> explain that Informatica, while very nice, doesn't actually do
> *everything* that needs to be done for ET&L.

Heh tell me 'bout it. (I'm probably obliged at this point to point out
that my employer owns Ascential these days)

Mind you, there's a *very* nice contract market in Informatica and/or
AbInitio.

Not to mention Control-M (which is basically cron with a nice front
end) - I spent much of last year trying to find contractors who could
do all of
a) use the thing
b) use intelligible language (English preferred, but not required)
c) turn up on a regular basis
d) not take the p*ss on their timesheets

Our batch team lead had a standing risk on his weekly report for the
likelihood that one of his contractors would suffer death by beating
that week :-)