[theforum] Google checkout

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Mon Oct 20 07:31:02 CDT 2008

Hi Erika,

"Erika" <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:

> David Kaufman wrote:
>> Actually it's just because to become a 501(c)(3) you have to:
>
> ok, so we are a legal nonprofit, but not a 501(c)(3)?
> Still, I maintain that we are NOT a US-based org.

Right, we are an unincorporated non-profit, which just means we have an
tax-id number (an EIN), which allows us have a financial identity, open a
checking account, and cash checks made out to, evolt.org.  It also keeps
evolt's finances legally separate from mine, so I don't have to declare its
revenue on my income taxes, and evolt doesn't have to file tax returns
unless it reaches a certain size.  This is the same tax structure that
little league teams and knitting clubs use :-)

I agree that our global nature makes us not a U.S. organization, but as far
as our bank and the IRS is concerned, evolt is "based" at my house -- at
least, that's where they'll send the S.W.A.T. team if they ever decide
evolt owes taxes I haven't paid :-)

-dave