[theforum] about us draft (& copyright question)

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Tue Oct 28 08:54:04 CDT 2008

Martin Burns wrote:

 > On 27 Oct 2008, at 23:47, Erika wrote:
 >
 >> - copyright stays with original authors.  Beyond our archive, evolt does
 >> not claim rights to anything published on its site or email lists.
 >> Authors own their work and have the right to republish as they see fit.
 >
 > Beyond our archive? We claim rights over our archive?
 >
 > Cheers
 > Martin

Badly worded, thank you.  But yes, we do claim the right to archive
posts, don't we?

One thought is that maybe it might be better to avoid any mention of
"rights" on this page at all, but that's sort of a confusing* area for
me, and an important one for evolt.

There needs to be a simple way of saying: once you have published on
evolt, you can expect that we will archive your email or article.  All
republish rights to your piece revert back to you.

And should it be said here or elsewhere, is another question.

Erika

*thinking that my confusion comes from the original notion of publishing
being print-based, so something is printed once, and lives once....
whereas with electronic publishing, it's printed once, but can be
*removed* from print... *removing* is what we don't generally do.

I am not a lawyer, and I apologize if I'm making this unnecessarily
confusing.