[theforum] evolt.org layout/typography driving me nuts

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Nov 9 00:44:12 CST 2008

Every time a new article is published, or I edit a page on evolt.org,  I
cringe.  Then I want to cry. Then I want to throw my laptop out the window.

The header tags are too dark or too light, to large or too small.  I
can't tell which is which.  The spacing around headers is retarded.  The
left and right padding on the articles is too narrow.  There is no
max-width on the container.  Pages break in all manner of ways...
http://evolt.org/node/60864

The front door is a typographic disaster.

For some unknown reason only the top post on the front page displays at
a legible font size on my monitor, and for another unknown reason, every
other article defaults to teeny tiny.  To make matters worse, the
line-height is all over the place.  It's a mess.  It's an embarrassment.

We've been over the (serious) usability issues around commenting on
articles, submitting articles.

Because I've been working the site a lot lately, these things are
irritating me significantly.  Here we sit and working our asses off to
write or edit a good article, and the result? SUCKAGE.

We either need a new front-end stat, or we need to do some serious work
on our current CSS.  I am loathe to get into fixing what we've got,
because we need to upgrade SO BADLY.

I really want that new site.  like, yesterday.

thanks for listening,

Erika