[theforum] evolt.org layout/typography driving me nuts

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Nov 9 12:34:05 CST 2008

Martin Burns wrote:
> tbh, fixing the current CSS is a relatively easy job; it's just updating
> about a dozen styles.

right.  I don't have FTP access to anything so last night I was trying
to copy/paste and reproduce a test site on my hard drive.... leading to
a slight breakdown in frustration and the subsequent frustrated email.

> I propose using the styles (and only the text styles) I used (and
> somewhat stole from mollio.org) at
>
> http://weo.easyweb.co.uk/node/3

Fine by me.  I find those styles a bit overly-vanilla but at least they
are consistent!  The different line-heights on the evolt.org front page
(at least on FF3 Mac) looks like style conflicts but I did not research
it.

I also would not distinguish "sticky" article excerpts from "regular"
articles in design/layout, unless there is a really good reason for it.
  Especially not with font-styles or size.  It just looks like a display
issue.

Actually, what would be really cool, is to give someone with some
front-end design sense, time, and desire, some license and access to
adjust some of this stuff, without having to have every single
adjustment discussed ahead of time.

I don't think any one of us would let our own personal site, or work we
do for clients, display or behave like evolt.org is right now.

Erika

PS on the code-guidelines what is that bizness about the "colored PHP"?
   That's all done w/ font tags.  I took that section out of my revision
cause it just seems wrong.