[theforum] peo proposal

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Tue Nov 11 11:06:53 CST 2008

2008/11/11 Elfur Logadóttir <elfur at elfur.is>:
> On Tue, November 11, 2008 7:32 am, Martin Burns wrote:
>> Given that:
>> 1) http://planet.evolt.org is good
>> 2) but it only contains a small number of feeds
>> 3) adding new feeds is a PiTA
>> 4) updating the design will be a PiTA
>>

>> I propose that we
>> 1) shift it to Drupal, using a similar set of templates to (the new)
>> weo, wherein adding new feeds is cake 2) actively seek new feeds
>

> +1
>
> /elfur

-1  sysadmin-related objection

Elfur, more than anyone else I know, ought to be aware of just how
much of a clusterfuck that can turn into. :)

Drupal's aggregator is slow, memory-heavy, uses an error-laden XML
parser, and is prone to very nasty race conditions during its cron
runs, which in turn can cause other timed functions like search
indexing to fail.

As a happy medium I'd be open to putting it together and not actually
linking it, to see if it brings anything down, before a public
release.  (One hopes that this module has improved in Drupal 6
compared to previous versions.)

jh