[theforum] Funding evolt: responsibility

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Nov 17 15:46:47 CST 2008

Martin Burns wrote:
 > In a slightly calmer mood.
 >
 > Think of it this way:
 >
 > If the money we need to continue doesn't come from our members, where
 > does it come from?

It is normal and expected, for example, for the Board of Directors on a
non-profit to also donate to that non-profit.  It shows support. So I
don't see anything out of line here.

However, giving, and how often, and how much is ultimately up to the
individual.  No one here is truly in a position to guess how much any
other person can give at any particular time.

So my feeling is and has been that yes, it is a good and valid
suggestion to make.  Whether, and how to implement said suggestion is up
to each individual.

I think the problems come when someone suggests something, and someone
else takes it as a command.  In reality, no one here has the ability to
make commands or demands of anyone else.  We pull in one direction, or
we don't.  All, many, some... or none of us.

Erika