[theforum] Funding evolt: responsibility

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Nov 18 09:58:05 CST 2008

Hi Ron,

"Luther, Ron" <Ron.Luther at hp.com> wrote:
> How do, y'all, feel about a PBS style approach?  I really like
> what the folks at UserFriendly have done.  (Shucks, I just like
> the folks and the vibe at UserFriendly anyway.)  I think this
> may be roughly in alignment with the original suggestion as well
> as the nebulous 'spirit of evolt' as well:
> http://ars.userfriendly.org/users/choosesponsorlevel.cgi
>
> I think five tiers is probably too many for us ... but I think
> we have the juice to offer some desirable schwag that folks can
> only get by donating 'x', eh?

Swag, yes!  But surely you're not suggesting evolt offer paying sponsors
"12 months ad-free Membership" as userfriendly does!

Right?  You'd never propose littering WEO with advertising, and then
charging the most loyal and generous members of the community to have us
remove them... would ya? :-)

-dave