[theforum] A sound of silence

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 13:54:40 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:53 PM,  <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:
> Matt, Do you mind saying explicitly why you think this would help energize
> the community?

Not to be combative, but if the people responsible for the immense
community building that happened in early evolt are still here, then I
think they should be able to think this through. I don't need to teach
evolt how to build community. We did it before.

How many people are going to feel a part of a drupal install? We're a
group of construction workers planning at a job site how we're going
to build a great new home, when a truck pulls up with a pre-fab. Saves
time and money and is built better than we would have done.

Time to go home early from the job site and watch football instead.

> there
> were problems with our database structure?

Yup. Doesn't matter if no one uses it.

> problems with documentation?

Yup. Nearly non-existent. Doesn't matter if no one has a reason to read it.

> that we came to a point where we had serious issues, only one developer
> who didn't have the time to maintain the software.... plus people have
> concerns about security and such.

Yup, yup. Doesn't matter if there's no content to delete, no user
identities to steal, no user impact to downtime.

I can't get excited about building (or configuring) a home that no one
is going to live in, and I doubt I'm alone. evolt doesn't need a face
lift or an upgrade to PHP5; it needs its community back.

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA