[theforum] user images and articles (was: Re: [thechat] wired turns 15 )

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 16:44:31 CST 2008

On 27 Nov 2008, at 22:15, Erika wrote:

> but what caught my attention is how Rosetto brings forward the
> revolutionary (at the time)

Not really - newspapers had been doing it for features for *ever*

> notion of putting the author's face on
> articles.

> This was a big part of the oldschool hotwired and webmonkey
> (remember the 4- or 8-color gif portraits), and apparently, it's
> something we copied (not at first, but in our current incarnation).

nope - we came up with it from print media, same as they did.

> I'm
> not sure whether (or how) the notion of authors' faces front-and-
> center
> should be carried forward into the future evolt.org

Anything that makes it more obvious that evolt.org is a community of
*real people* is A Good Thing.

You'll note btw on my design, I used the author pics for comments too
(auto-thumbnailed via ImageMagick, not HTML resized)

> though I'd prefer
> we have a more portrait-friendly proportion and/or size to work with.
> Right now our portraits have to be a very small landscape-oriented
> image.

Au contraire. *Maximum* size is 180x90px, but it can be any rectangle
within that.

It's a soft setting, and by no means critical for the design (other
than I think trying to go wider than 200px would be iffy)