[theforum] front end urls

Erika Meyer ekm at seastorm.com
Wed Jan 7 19:09:38 CST 2009

Martin Burns wrote:

> OK, first glance stuff:

THX Martin, for your comments.  I don't mind waiting for you to move
further with your design if that's what you (and the group) want/s to
do, though I'm personally averse to the "contest" mentality as far as
completed designs go: it's too much work, and I've always felt unfair to
anyone but a beginning designer.  And judging from past list
discussions, most designers I know would concur. (not evolt lists, I'm
talking about designer-heavy lists).

Design can be a very under-appreciated area of web dev.  I'm not in the
mood to knock myself out if no one gives a crap about this one way or
the other.  On the other hand, I *do* need more experience working on
complex and content-rich sites like evolt.org, and am happy to continue,
if desired.  It is a challenge I welcome, if the end result can be
rewarding.

Martin, despite our respective stubborn streaks, I think that you and I
could perhaps put heads together and create something that will be quite
lovely. I just don't want to do all this work (and make no mistake, it
is a LOT of work) only to be shot down in the end.

So I am not sure at this point how to regard everyone else's silence: as
consent, dissent, or total apathy.  (Except, of course, for those who
have already been kind enough to articulate their apathy.)  Nor am I
sure that silent/apathetic "consent" is enough to make me want to work
as hard as it will take to finish a good working design.

I will say that I know this much: if both my and Martin's design ideas
are rejected (either overtly or passively), there will be no new
evolt.org front-end for a very long time.

Erika