[theforum] [Content] Automated content reminder emails migrated

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 07:46:40 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-24, at 1:13 AM, David Kaufman <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The reminder scripts that send email to the content list have been migrated to tron, modified to use Net::SMTP instead of qmail-inject, and their cron jobs have been re-enabled.
>
> Dean, I went ahead and installed these in your user account, as they were before.  I also took the liberty of migrating a bunch of other perl scripts in your bin directory, installing their CPAN dependencies and so on.  I did not copy/install or test the C programs or iptables wizardry -- that stuff's too far above my pay grade :-)
>
> There's also a bin.tempest/ in your homedir with all the unmodified files from tempest and, in bin/, a diff of the changes I made.
>
> Of the ones running via cron, only article_reminder.pl has really been tested (as you can see).  The other two, user_reminder.pl and comment_reminder ran, but found nothing to do so they're only really known to compile...
>
> -dave

Thanks Dave. It looks like user_reminder.pl ran as I'm getting email from it.  The mail only goes to me so I can keep track of new signups and automatically blocks them based on keywords in their profiles and signatures.

The iptables stuff is for automated blocking of mail spammers but was call from qmail.  I haven't integrated it with our new MTA but instead have been using a RBL.  If it becomes a performance issue, we can start doing it locally again.

Dean