[theforum] Update on evolt finances (and tin cup rattling)

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Mon Aug 22 22:27:44 CDT 2011

Hello Forum (I know you're out there -- I can hear you breathing!)

I said...
 > So hopefully the next sound you hear will be me bragging that evolt
 > is fully solvent again, for the foreseeable future [...]

Well, perhaps not *fully* solvent... I did manage to get ads on the list
archives:

   Here's an example:
   http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20110815/131624.html

but after just a few days, they are not doing nearly as well as I'd
hoped.  A couple of years ago, the list archives got ten times _more_
traffic than the browser archive, now it appears leo is garnering just
about a *tenth* of the traffic that beo is getting.

That's right -- the list archives went from serving like 100,000 page
views a month to just a couple *hundred* a *day*, right now its on track
for less than three thousand a month.

So, not a lot of new revenue there...

On the bright side though, my previous email inspired total donations to
be twice as high this month than last month :-) so we're okay for the
time being -- unfortunately we did not get commitments for any new
*recurring* donations, but we can probably now coast through September
and October.

After that... barring the emergence of a couple new monthly donors...
the only thing left I can think of is putting ads on weo as well.

-dave, masking his horror