[theforum] Zombie!

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Mon Dec 9 22:30:59 CST 2013

On 11/18/13, 5:51 AM, William Anderson wrote:
> I appreciate not everyone has spare time, but even a quick 10 second
> "hey, busy" reply here would have been great, as then I could have
> gauged if people are listening in the first place.  But since the
> flurry of "huh, ooh, ok" in June, it's been silence.
>
> In the mean time, emkay and I have been boshing out the "new" site.
>
> A static archive of all the old evolt.org articles in the current
> theme, with a 'front door' describing what evolt is, what evolt does,
> and why we're not accepting articles any more.  The theme of the
> 'front door' is a COTS theme (commercial off the shelf, cost me $15,
> worth every penny so far) to save time, arguments and shed painting.
> I'm also working on it to operate on browsers.evolt.org and the front
> page of lists.evolt.org (the existing leo archive theme will remain
> unchanged, although I may need to double check the adsense stuff is
> working correctly - Dave K if you're listening, can you verify what
> our UA code is for Google Adsense?).

Hi, sorry yes.  Um, AdSense code... that would be pub-982559886293173

> The plan being executed is:
>
> - "new" evolt.org hosted on github pages
> - "new" browsers.evolt.org hosted on my box in montreal
> - "newish" lists.evolt.org hosted on tron as-is for now
>
> Eventually we'll migrate tron to another service (probably AWS as
> proposed earlier), but we need an action plan for that, and I need
> Dave K for pursestrings and genghis for operational duties if poss, as
> we'll need to move css-discuss.org's front page and lists at the same
> time.  I'd rather defer that one for now as there's too much else to
> do, and I believe we still have cash in the bank to fund tron for a
> while longer.

That all sounds good!  Sorry I haven't had time to participate but I
will be sure to be responsive to any DNS, domain registration or hosting
changes, or any money matters that need to be attended to.

Even if our birthday passes without a party, I think it's still a fine
idea to create a read-only archive of all the content to make sure it
isn't lost to the sands of time.

We've had about half of our handful of monthly subscribers cancel their
monthly donations this year -- things are tough all over, it seems --
but there's still a few $10 bills drifting in per month, and about:

   $341 in the bank checking account, and
   $124 in PayPal

and still just the $45 monthly hosting fees to SoftLayer, plus ~$15/yr a
piece for the evolt.org and evolters.org domain renewal fees at GoDaddy.

So, as soon as I come up for air from several big projects at work, I'd
love to start working on moving everything to AWS.  I think we can get
all we need there from Amazon virtual servers (that never get old) for
about half what we're paying to SoftLayer (cough, IBM) for hardware that
ws low end when we rented it, like 7 years ago?  and is now both beyond
low-end and also pathetically obsolete :-)

Thanks for the wake up call William!  I'd certainly been hibernating.

-dave