[thesite] Body edit textarea - not always escaping chars

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Sun Dec 17 01:16:18 CST 2000

At 23:10 16/12/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>that's because that article did not have any <p> tags in it to begin with.
>if you don't believe me go to the edit screen and view the source.  you'll
>see that there aren't any <p> tags anywhere in the body textarea.

oh, but it did.

example (i haven't touched this article):
http://www.evolt.org/article/A_useful_list_of_Office_2000_shortcut_keys/12/4
093/evolt.org

There are no <p>'s in the body at all (look at the code).  You can see
where they used to be, because the CR/LFs are still there.  There were
paragraphs there when Rudy wrote the article - bits like the "Why Excel?"
section didn't used to be one big block of text - it was multiple paragraphs.

As I recall, Rudy edited that article to fix a colouring problem. The
paragraphs would've been ripped out at that point.

If you still don't believe me that this is a bug, try submitting an article
that is just:

View it, check the source, it will have <p>'s.
Click the edit link, hit "Update Article!", view the article again and
those <p>'s will be gone.

Why aren't you using htmleditformat()?

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz