[thesite] Re: [Admin] Adrian's submission style article

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 3 14:41:44 CDT 2001

> From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
>
> > dan, let's get that FAQ category in there, set it to *not* display
> > in the select menu, or to accept articles from non-admins...
>
> may i ask for a quick review/recap of what we're doing?

yes.

> i want to be clear on the structure being implemented in the database

sure.

> is this new category intended to hold the contents of the current FAQ
> page?

that, too, as well as other 'meta' info on the site that currently
doesn't work as articles, but can easily become articles...

> if so, i think it's safe to go ahead and add it as a category
> ("center") in the current structure

cool.

> but why hide it from the select menu???

because we had discussed not treating it as a category to users,
since it's really only a category to stuff all our meta articles into...
as such, we should keep the text link 'faq' in the header, and link to
the other 'articles' as appropriate... for instance, the style guide
would be linked from the submission page...

> perhaps it should not be included on the home page articles, similar
> to the way that Jobs and Suggestions are not

+1, but as we discussed it in the hotel room (i thought you were
there, sorry), i got everyone's buy-in to just not link them at all, and
only call articles from pre-defined links...

> but Jobs and Suggestions are shown in the select menu

yep... those aren't the same as what i've proposed...

> also, i don't think it's necessary to restrict who can submit articles
> in this category, since there's no database mechanism for this, and
> also because we as admins can simply reject articles that aren't okay

ok.

> note -- there is a CATTYPE structure in place to, um, categorize the
> categories

cool.

> right now (can't confirm without actually querying the database, and
> i'm maybe a day away from being able to) there are three CATTYPES --
> Center, Tips, Keyword

ok.

> however, only Center has any CATEGORY records under it, and
> consequently all the articles on the site point to CATEGORY records
> that are tied to the Center CATTYPE

ok.

> if we implement any other CATTYPEs, we have to do a thorough code
> review, for example to add
>
>     AND CATEGORY.CATTYPEID=nn
>
> where nn is the PK of the Center CATTYPE record
>
> i hope i've explained this okay, please let me know if this confuses
> you...

it does, but i have confidence saying that you and dan/jeff/etc. are
more qualified to address it, especially since the last time i looked
at a schema was in TO at that steakhouse...

mmm... beef...