[thesite] user power cubes..

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 17:38:10 CDT 2001

Dean is telling bad jokes in #evolt so I thought I'd escape for 5mins.

I didn't pay too much attention to the original conversation about the
cubes as, well, I don't really have an excuse, I just didn't, ok *:)

Anyways, I'm paying attention now since dan posted his examples. At
first the branding issue didn't enter my mind, but since David posted
this, a few thoughts have been buzzing around in my head.

First up, I think some kind of marker to someones 'evoltness' is a cool
idea. Might stimulate more people to contribute.

My feeling would be to go with something based on the single cube.
Although I agree with the branding issue, my reasoning would be more
from a layout point of view than anything. From the example dan posted
earlier the logo looks a little forced, if you see what I mean. It
breaks up the lines of the page and sits too proud. Nice anti-aliasing
though.

As this is going to a kind of ranking/grading/howcoolareyou system,
wouldn't it be wise to follow the other grading schemes out there (like
feo for example) and use a row of [insert icon of choice] so people can
get a handle on what is being represented?

So from dans example you would have:

	Building A Quick Countdown Application
	Author: mwarden [cube] [cube] [1/2 cube]

Nice and neat, wouldn't break the flow of the page, and everyone would
be able to see right away that matt is a two and a half cube kinda guy.

The exact mapping between number of articles and number of
[whojamaflips] would have to be worked out to some meaningful level
obviously...

.. so yeah, what David said +1.

G.