[thesite] What's appropriate for d.e.o.

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 04:29:22 CDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:49:17 -0700, Erika Meyer <emeyer at lclark.edu>
wrote:

> I saw these sorts of issues coming when I heard about d.e.o...
> I'm slightly being a devil's advocate here:

Cool, discussion is good. Although it's first thing in the morning
here, so I may not be up to full steam yet.

> Does this mean that there is an implied endorsement for any and all
> links on d.e.o?

I would view links to agencies slightly differently. I'm not sure
whether I can rationalise it (hey, I said I liked discussion... didn't
say I was any good at it) but my gut feeling is that having links to
companies that get paid for developing websites would not be in the
spirit of evolt.

> why are links to webshops potential "crap" more than any of the other
> subject matter?  I'm not saying they aren't potential "crap," I'm
> just wondering what makes them that?  Is it that their sole purpose
> is to sell a service?

I think there's a slight misubderstanding here. Probably due to my
extremely bad grasp of my own language *:)

When I said 'crap' I meant hassle, aggravation etc. Simon would be
laying himself open for all sorts of abuse from people who wanted to get
their agency into the directory. I wasn't trying to pass judgement on
the quality of the sites.

> OTOH there are other sites up there that are primarily there to sell
> a service (like atomz.com).  And we ARE a community of web
> developers...

Well, Atomz is selling something tangible, as tangible as we can get in
a sea of electrons anyway. They have a 'thing'. People know what that
'thing' is, they know what it's used for, there isn't much of a grey
area.
I see a marked difference between that and a company that develops
bespoke
systems.

I just worry that allowing agencies to have links in deo is going to be
the thin end of a very large wedge.

It *could* get messy is all I'm saying.

G.