[thesite] hosting listings on d.e.o.

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Aug 29 17:32:57 CDT 2001

> From: Warden, Matt
>
> Entries? Ratings? Comments? Top 5-rated hosts?
> Most-commented-on hosts?
>
> Sounds like the evolt CMS.

Doesn't it? :)

> Could that be used as *part* of a site?

Excellent question. Yow. Using CF and PHP on the same site. Hmmmm ...

> The URL setup would probably hve to change for existing
> deo so that it's using the ErrorDocument 404 and then that
> would have to have logic with whether to pass it onto the
> current deo files or to the modified evolt CMS files. Would
> probably be less hassle than building the whole thing from
> scratch with PHP.

Possibly. Does a host rating system need to be as complex as w.e.o.'s
CMS? Depends on what the requirements of it are, but it seems to me that
it could be much simpler.

Postulating here:

1) For somebody to rate a host, they need to be a member of evolt. So
right there, we're going to have to hit Oracle for login/authentication.
(Or maintain a MySQL copy of the members table. Yuck. Let's not even get
into that.) Can we query the main evolt db from d.e.o.?

2) We need to store the ratings, etc. somewhere. Matt, if we can figure
out how to use the existing CF code within d.e.o., are you talking about
storing the data in its MySQL tables or in the content table (can't
remember the correct name right now) of w.e.o.?

David