[thesite] [Fwd: [Fwd: evolt error]]

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Feb 1 10:19:48 CST 2001

clues? I can't check this out right now..

Peter Van Dijck wrote:

     Hi, upon editing an article of mine, I got this error:

     Error Diagnostic Information
     Oracle Error Code = 1401
     ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column
     SQL = "UPDATE content SET categoryid = '20', datemod = '26-Jan-01',
     signdate = sysdate, contentname = 'A brief introduction to metadata
     and the
     semantic web', synopsis = 'The web is growing fast. And peer to peer
     computing promises even faster growth of stuff we can access. And
     logically, the more stuff there is, the harder it becomes to find the
     particular stuff you were looking for. Metadata could be the
     answer.', body
     = :1, signoff = 3 WHERE contentid = 5263"
     Query Parameter Value(s) -
     Parameter #1 =
     (terms used, links and metadata about this article at the bottom)
     The web is growing fast. And peer to peer computing promises even
     faster
     growth of stuff we can access. And logically, the more stuff there
     is, the
     harder it becomes to find the particular stuff you were looking for.
     Metadata could be the answer.
     The problem
     Web documents lack metadata.
     Sure, some sites use some of the metatags, and the title tag gets
     used a
     lot, but even this limited amount of metadata is poorly defined
     (what is
     supposed to go in that title tag anyway?) and poorly used.
     This lack of metadata makes it really hard to search the web, and
     limits
     it's use. It's really hard to search for related documents for example.
     The solution
     The core of the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) metadata vision is a
     concept known as the Semantic Web. The semantic web means that all the
     stuff out there has metadata with it that describes it.
     But is the W3C then going to define thousands of metatags for every
     possible subject? Don't think so, Jose.
     Enter the Resource Description Framework (RDF).
     The resource description Framework is an XML-like standard for defining
     vocabularies that define metadata.
     These vocabularies can then be used to describe documents. There
     already
     are a bunch of vocabularies out there (mostly for describing books),
     that
     can be used, but anyone could invent a new one. Market forces decide
     which
     ones get popular.
     The future
     This is all of little consequence to web developers right now. But
     anyone
     involved in content management should watch this space, interesting
     times
     are ahead.
     Terms used
     Metadata: metadata is data about data. I'll illustrate with a few
     examples:
     the author of a book is metadata. The category a library classifies
     a book
     in is metadata about that book. The title argument of an tag is
     metadata.
     Related links:
     The power of metadata
     http://openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/01/18/metadata.html
     (a really good introduction at http://openp2p.com)
     What is RDF?
     http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2001/01/24/rdf.html
     (really good as well at http://xml.com)
     Some metadata about this article (you may have noticed, more is
     provided by
     evolt):
     Author: Peter Van Dijck, aka pedrito
     (for example, for meta data on the author, click on the author link
     at the
     top of the article)
     Title: Introduction to metadata and the semantic web.
     Inspiration: the above articles
     Date of writing: Friday, January 2001
     keywords: metadata, semantic web, p2p, Resource Description
     Framework, rdf,
     xml, content management.
     Data Source = "EVOLT"
     The error occurred while processing an element with a general
     identifier of
     (CFQUERY), occupying document position (24:7) to (24:56) in the
     template
     file /home/evolt/main_html/evolt/article/act_process.cfm.
     Date/Time: Thu Feb 1 04:11:02 2001
     Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 4.0)
     Remote Address: 213.38.76.82
     HTTP Referer:
     http://evolt.org/article/index.html?action=edit&tid=18&aid=5263
     <http://evolt.org/article/index.html?action=edit&tid=18&aid=5263>
     Query String: section=article&action=process

--
Daniel J. Cody
Systems Administrator

Starkmedia | for the web