[thesite] Hey! Ho! Let's Go! Hey! Ho! AvantGo!

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Wed Feb 28 00:34:37 CST 2001

On 2/27/01 1:38 AM you wrote:

> : "subscribe" to Web sites and they get the
> : content for you, wrap it up and give it to
> : you.
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> ok, that makes alittle more sense.  by "they" are you meaning avantgo when
> referring to who retrieves and wraps up the content?

Yup.  They do.  AvantGo.

> : Additionally, a link depth of 0 will follow no
> : links.
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> ok, this makes more sense.  do we need to subscribe for them to be able to
> do this?

No.  It's in the individuals preferences.  We don't need to subscribe at
all, because you can pretty much add any old URI to AvantGo and it will pull
the info down.  Of course if it's a site with all graphics, it's not going
to do very well.

> : That's all good. Keeps the content up top,
> : which is really important on the Palm.
> : Content good.
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> i just added the categories to the bottom of the page.  lemme know what you
> think.  i've got an avantgo version of the article page done as well.  i
> just have to do alittle work to get an avantgo user page together as well.
> are there any other pages on thesite that you think they should have access
> to?

Okay, it looks good.  One thing: I'm getting a horiz. scroll bar.  I think
it's because the evolt.org logo is too wide.  But not  quite sure.  Overall
though, it looks like a content site.  We could definitely go with a smaller
logo... ie. 75pixels across so that it doesn't dominate the screen at first
glance.

Also I have link depth set for 1, but I couldn't get into any of the
categories.  Are they displaying hard 404s still?  I found that once we
fixed that 404 thing I was able to download the new site without any
problems, it was just ugly.  Now it's prettttty.  Thanks J.

I can get into the articles from their summaries, but can't load the link
that says 'next 5' That's about it.

Oh yeah, you should see aardvark's article on the Palm.  The screen caps
come out nicely, but not exactly readable.  Still cool.

Dave
ps. if anyone else out there has a pda with AvantGo, try adding evolt.org
and let us know what you think. </dam>

_______
"I'll JAVA you, you stupid Web"

              -http://kvetch.com/