[thesite] browsers.evolt updated look

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Fri Jan 26 16:12:50 CST 2001

djc,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Daniel J. Cody
:
: i disagree with your disagreement :)
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that's ok, i've got the backing of a search engine professional with more
experience with search engines than both of us combined, several times over.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I say the URL has equal weight as the
: title and the content of the page along
: with meta tags. The best example of this
: that I can pass along is our own list
: archives that have a generic URL, but
: have a subject in the title and of course
: the page itself. Yet these pages, as
: adam patrick posted yesterday, are almost
: always returned from sites like altavista
: and yahoo precisly because they've got
: relevant information and keywords in the
: body of the page.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the pages from the archive could be even higher in the search results if
they had more relevant urls though.  for example, instead of adam's oracle
rownum post being result 165 on google when search for rownum
(http://www.google.com/search?q=rownum&start=160), it could be more like 80.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: searching for 'browser archive' on google,
: browsers.evolt.org comes up as the #1 item
: returned. yet it only has keywords on the
: page itself and the title(the linking issue
: is another thing, granted.)
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i know you're not going to believe me, but part of that is the fact that the
word "browser" is in the url.  increased relevancy.  there's also issue with
there being a number of links from other sites to the browser archive where
the text of the link is "browser archive".  that also increases our
relevancy.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: those are a sample of lines today from the referer
: logfile for lists.evolt.org. finally, i've failed
: to find any sort of information either on the w3
: or webcrawler spider pages about spiders not parsing
: meta tags or higher relevance for URL and title.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

meta tags are hardly ever used by search engines anymore because they've
been used to spam the engines for so long.  much higher relevance has been
placed on the correlation of page title to page content.  new relevance has
been placed on the correlation of the url to page content as well.  i'll see
if i can't weasel some of that info from our resident search engine guy.
(he knows what he's doing - http://www.google.com/search?q=network+services)

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > i'm all for distributing the workload - once
: > we've got more of this thing in place.  there
: > are still some core elements that need to be
: > addressed before they can be explained to
: > people that are unfamiliar with the way we do
: > things.
:
: exactly my point. *core* elements doesn't include
: moving the browser archive so we can have
: persistant logins for features that haven't been
: implemented yet, but we'd(perhaps?) consider 'core'.
:
: Of course, thats just my opinion, and I know yours
: is different.. :)
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes, it does differ.  i see having a certain level of integration a core
element.  consistency will make it easier for others to work on this.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: BTW, to everyone else reading this,relax.. I got
: an email offlist yesterday from someone on thesite
: list that basically said, "Holy shit, you and jeff
: are having a flame war!!!!!" In case this is any
: sort of wide spread mis-conception, let me end it
: now.. :)
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

no shit

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I think i can speak for jeff here in saying that
: we like to argue with eachother.. not so much
: 'argue', but debate. its healthy, its ok, its
: for the best. we both respect eachothers opinion
: and are just trying to find good middle ground.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you may speak for me in this regard cause you're right on with what i think
about it too.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: IOW, don't worry about what the offlist email
: called, "The Admin Wars"..*laugh*.. we're both
: quite secure and ok with everything, healthy
: discussion is good. and the only admin war me
: and jeff will have is seeing who can drink more
: 'Dirty Girl Scouts' in austin this march ;)

hey, i'm there already.  *grin*

.jeff

name://jeff.howden
game://web.development