[thesite] Print version of evolt.org articles

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 19 16:43:28 CDT 2001

djc,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Daniel J. Cody
:
: jeff is this similar to the thing you did
: with anchors?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

no, unfortunately it's fundamentally different.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: you wrapped the anchor link in something and
: it got processed out of the DB right?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in that instance i'm doing a replace() of a particular string in the article
data itself.  what seth is suggesting is including coldfusion tags (not
variables like i did) within the data itself.  the only way to get that to
execute is to read from the database, write to a temporary file, and then
cfinclude that file causing any coldfusion tags in it to be parsed.
obviously that's not how our system works at this time.

v3 of thesite will take this into account though and we should be able to
greatly reduce the hits to the database for viewing articles.  in most cases
articles will be read from static files in the filesystem which is way
faster.

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/