[thesite] map - the FSFE way

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Wed Jul 25 13:21:02 CDT 2001

mantruc wrote:

>Dean Mah wrote:
>
>>This is just a side project for me.  I don't want it to take away from
>>the Flash version.  My version doesn't scale very well.  The maps that
>>it generates are pretty big (500K) depending on the output size.  It
>>looks a lot better as a background on my desktop.  It's kind of
>>interesting to watch day break and night fall on evolters.  Might
>>throw in the option to grab the cloud image overlays that are
>>generated evry 6 hours.
>>

>ok, i thought it was cool, but we still need something more apropriate
>(sp?)

+1
It's *damn* cool. But what is it makes that one inappropriate?

>Joxn, Bruce, where are we, was the map i sent ok
>is it usefull if i sent the maps source for the one i have
>on members.evolt.org/mantruc/map/map2.html
>anthough it doesn't mark the guides?

Sorry, I've been busy for a while and haven't had much time for this.
I'll just have to take baby steps with this one as I have other more
important projects - like the ones that pay my bills ;)

 I found some really nice maps that could be used and I downloaded a
list of  lats & lons for many US cities. I have a script ready to put
that into a database, or I could have it as a text file.

So that's got the basis for a start - I think I'll be able to find more
time for this either tonight or this weekend (full schedule for me this
week).

The idea for the project is to have the flash file query a coldfusion
page for lats & lons of evolt members. I'm not sure how long of a
response string flash will accept, so some sort of shorthand should be
used. Something like:

m1=38.25n,38.04e&m2=45.56n,25.14w

I'll flesh that out later, but tips would be welcome if anyone has ideas.

Anyone figure out a way to find lats and lons for other countries based
upon postal address (or code)? Looks like we are particularly interested
in Chile, Brittain, Western Europe, and Australia. That should cover
most folks on the list - let me know if there's more..

-Bruce