[thesite] Tips Database

Dean Mah dsmah at home.com
Wed Jul 25 15:55:14 CDT 2001

rudy writes:

> dean, if it's okay, i'll defer defining the indexes to you
>
> it's not like it's rocket science, right?

Sure, no problem.

> but don't forget, it forces changes to existing code -- some pages
> want to list just articles (e.g. the home page, the main page for
> each category...)

Yes, see my message to Seth.  If the cost to change the code is
prohibitive than so be it.

> i think we should let the new table for tips stabilize first
>
> besides, there may be quite a bit of cleansing to do, to link tips
> to their proper authors, to categorize them, etc.

I have no doubt about that.  It's one of the reasons that I have held
off trying to do it for the past couple years.  :)

> by the way, the data warehousing buzzword for what we're doing here
> is ETL -- extract, transformation, and load

Yup, I was DBA in a DW environment for a couple of years.  There we
grabbed data from a mainframe's ISM and VSAM structure, processed with
COBOL, created load scripts on AIX, filtered them with Perl once in a
while, and then loaded with Oracle's SQL*Loader.  Ah, the good 'ole
days.  :)

Dean