[thesite] Tips Database

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Thu Jul 26 10:40:48 CDT 2001

> it would be ideal if we could wrap these new archives in a similar URL
> scheme.. i just don't want people to stop coming to the list archives
> because we change stuff around..

I can go one better.  What I would like to do is implement the SSURL scheme like the articles (having the subject line in the URL), while being able to accommodate the old-style URLs as well (without having to do a redirect).  This should keep any links from breaking and will also yield higher rankings for spidered messages.  I'll try to follow the layout and content of the current format as much as possible as well (remember that what's currently there is only temporary - just a throw-together).

I will need to get with you guys on the URL scheme on weo, though, as it seems to be different from that implemented on leo so far.  I can re-create it, but why reinvent the wheel?  PLus it's good to maintain the consistency between sites..

> probably the best way to do this is to implement the new archives and at
> the same time, turn the archives from MG off(any new archives from MG
> that is) . we'd need to leave the current archives at
> http://lists.evolt.org/archive/* and perhaps put the new ones in at
> http://lists.evolt.org/thelistarchive/* or something.

'/thelistarchive' is just a temporary working directory (the page you saw was actually working off the fusebox switch in the index).  We can move it anywhere once we have things the way we want them.  I think that getting the layout together isn't goint to be a big problem.  Right now my main concern is performance. With all the html tables (and probably partially due to my kludgy SQL), the 'week of' page takes a good while to load right now.  I'll be putting the HTML on a diet over the next coupla days and will get one of our gurus to fix the SQL.  Is it possible to remotely turn CF debugging on/off?

> if you guys are good with this, i'd like to import it into the new live
> database ..

sweeeeeet...

> it would be nice to have the 'last 5 threads from thelist' back on the
> front page sidebar(it was there for a brief time last winter)

+1.  cake.. We'll do it as soon as the db is moved over.  Wait.. If the mbox is only dumped into the db once a week then we have a problem.  Is it feasible to do the dump hourly?  Or even better, every (x) minutes?

> it would also be nice to have the new archives grep for the evolt.org
> cookie, and if you're logged in, a 'reply to this message' box would pop
> up so people could respond to posts on thelist from a web browser(this
> would be nice for those of us that are on the road from time to
> time)..although maybe you could only reply to threads from the last 7
> days or something..

That's a great idea!  We can polish it up here on [thesite] once the archives are in place..

Hope I answered some of your concerns.  Lemme know if you're still hanging on anything.

Peace out,

Seth

"Respect your efforts, respect yourself.  Self-respect leads to self-discipline.  When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power."  -Clint Eastwood
Seth Bienek
Digitaris Technologies, Inc.
tel (972) 690-4131, ext. 103
fax (972) 690-0617