[thesite] question about article update

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 26 02:06:41 CDT 2001

> god, pet peeve number one when it comes to database design --
> storing a list
> of ids in a field.  no offense -- yuck.

no offense taken of course.

is the alternative another table in the database, and then a sequencing
column also to allow ordering items within a set?

ie, CONTENT table, ITEMSET, and then the table in between?

(not too late to change if you think it's an utterly critical matter - just
want to avoid overly complicating things (especially on the administrative
side). actually, now that i think about it a bit more, maybe the extra table
with many-to-many r'ships is the better solution :p)

> i can understand that.  this is a pretty cool feature.  was probably kinda
> fun building and testing too.  i think i would have made this a lower
> priority than versioning though, but that's just me.

yeh, probably should've done it in the reverse order. oh well. too late now.
:p

other remaining features of low priority include scheduling, endaction
(specify what happens to an item when it reaches its enddate), etc.

back to it..