[thesite] comments on test.evolt.org

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 26 12:42:44 CDT 2001

aardvark,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: aardvark
:
: i don't think it's worth creating a new
: class for the +/-...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

noted, but those elements are going to have to be styled in some fashion.
what would you suggest using instead?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: i think you should use — instead of
: a hyphen in the +/-...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i'm fine with that.

support on other platforms is not necessary because this bit of code only
gets sent out if the user is running win/ie5+.

just implemented and tested and i don't like it.  it's quite a bit longer
than the + is wide causing the content to shift.  at least the way it is now
it just swaps the indicator and the title doesn't move.  i'm leaving it as
two hyphens until someone comes up with a better solution.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: style="cursor: hand" requires a closing
: semicolon...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

scathing technicality

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: this was also supposed to be span-free, using
: tags only for structure, and imparting style
: through those... there are three <span>s in
: there i don't think we need...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

have you taken a look at how it works?  what do you suppose i use instead of
a <span> to get the same effect?  if you'll notice they don't impart any
style to the document whatsoever (the fact that they have classes attached
to them is moot as those could be applied to other tags around the
elements).  they're simply used as containers for the elements that are
having their display property toggled.

removed the spans for author and timestamp.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: class the anchor for the +/- (especially since
: the whole bar as an expando-thingie is too much
: since you can't highlight text and the hit area
: for the name is now too small compared to the
: rest)... IOW, remove the JS event from the <td>
: and insert it into an <a>, class that...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

done.  couldn't get it to not be underlined without adding a style to the
<a> tag setting it's text-decoration there.  dunno what that's all about.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: does the author need a style?  if you really think
: it does, put it in the <a>... i think it should go...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there was a complaint that it was too bold compared to the title of the
comment.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: i don't think the time needs one at all, the span
: and class should go...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

done.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: overall, every time we modify the page, nobody runs
: it through a validator,
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so shoot me, i forgot a semi-colon on a style attribute value.  i don't
think that it's technically required, but anyway.  the rest that i added is
valid code.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: and on top of that, we keep adding more and more code,
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kinda necessary for more features doncha think?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: and everyon's got a different style...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

regrettably.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: these pages take forever to  render on my home machine...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nothing i can do for a tired, 3 year old machine on 33.6.  sorry.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: we don't need all this code we keep adding, but we
: keep going to town on it...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that's a matter of perspective.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: and the page is now peppered with <span> tags...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when used for structural purposes (ie, as a container for an element so it
can have it's display toggled) what's the problem with a <span> tag here or
there?

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: we also need to not add classes to the CSS... every
: time we do that, we're going to have to revisit the
: style changer and modify all the styles that go along
: with it... we have enough styles in there that we
: should be pretty good to go for a long time...
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

with some minor exceptions whenever we visit a new feature.  we should
always be careful though, i agree.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: doncha wish you hadn't asked?

nope.  grain of salt, buddy, grain of salt.  *grin*

j/k

it's all very valuable, but nonetheless debatable.

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org