[thesite] Tip Harvester question (was: [***] Formatting tips )

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Fri Mar 30 13:29:27 CST 2001

Hi David,

Good question..

The tip parser that I wrote looks for a line break followed by  <tip> and
includes everything between the closing bracket and the first bracket of
</tip>.  If it doesn't find the closing tag, it throws the whole thing out.

The drawback to this approach is that if someone replies and their email
software doesn't support "quoting", the tip would go in twice.

I have put some thought into this, but have not been able to come up with a
real solution other than a review process, or doing exact comparisons of
every tip (which seems like it would inhibit performance, and I'm not sure
if you can even compare two whole text fields..)

I'm open to suggestions..

BTW, the tip parser doesn't currently run, it hasn't been running in 8
months or so..  The code is written, but we are working on putting the
archives into a database, and then we'll set up the tip parser to check
against the database.

Seth

Seth Bienek
Solutions Development Manager