[thesite] Tip Harvester question (was: [***] Formatting tips )

Dean Mah dsmah at home.com
Fri Mar 30 14:57:47 CST 2001

Seth Bienek writes:

> The flexibility of being able to parse tips within tips is useful,
> but are we willing to assume the performance hit of recursive
> parsing?

I don't think that I implemented it in Perl recursively.  The Perl
performance was fine.  I'm not knowledgable in Cold Fusion and so do
not know the performace impact that it has there.

> Also, tip tags should not be nested IMO because each tip is it's own
> simple entity,

I would agree.  I'm just relating some of the experiences that I've
had while running the Tip Harvester for a couple of years.  I also
allowed parsing of tags that didn't appear like tags.  Things like
|tip|...|/tip| and (tip)...(/tip).

> Parsing only text before "-----Original Message-----" could keep
> good tips from being stored, depending on the method people use to
> reply.

I had no problems with this.  The only time that I can seen it being a
large problem is when someone replies inline to a message but still
uses the --Original Message-- delimiter.

Again in Perl these things weren't a real performance issue but I
can't speak for CF.

Dean