[thesite] Members' Directory/Pages

Joshua OIson joshua at alphashop.net
Thu May 17 17:39:48 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Mattheis" <gozz at gozz.com>
Subject: Re: [thesite] Members' Directory/Pages

> Am I correct in interpreting the concept of "resume builder"
> literally - a tool to compose an on-line resume?

I may have jumped the boat a little by bringing that up.  I thought I heard
someone mention something like that, but based on what we're saying now it
doesn't fit.  Sorry.

> - Should the "Member Skills" thing be presented as something separate
> from a more general member profile? I could see it as a directory
> type structure that could be drilled down though with hyperlinks ...
> or there could be a member search page on which one could search for
> anything about a member.

I think the member's skills concept should be separate from the general
member information solely because general member information is for
identification and the skills concept is more for networking.  I like the
"drill-down" idea, but in order to for it to make sense, there would have to
be a lot of heirarchtical information about a user.  I didn't see anything
in the schema to group data fragments or otherwise organize them... unless I
missed something.

> - Should there be something like a feedback rating or comments from
> whoever the member has collaborated with? I could see that being
> abused, but could also see it being very useful it it weren't ...
> maybe give each member the option of opening their record to having
> feedback ... or have something which would only allow feedback to be
> posted if both members had something in weo (is weo something like
> that, or is it something to track work being done on [x]eo?)

Very interesting idea.  It reminds me of what Ebay does in their seller
rating system.  I think they allow a person to erase the comments made about
themselves, but when they do all comments go with them, good and bad.  That
way they can protect themselves from slamming, but a sense of fairness is
maintained.

-joshua