[thesite] friday is a good day..

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Fri May 18 14:56:59 CDT 2001

matt,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Warden, Matt
:
: rudy, is it in the plans to use a PRIV
: column on categories?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i feel that it is in the plans.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Truthfully, it might not be the intended
: use and I can see you telling me we shouldn't
: use the PRIV column for this, BUT setting the
: priv of those categories to 3 (or 5 if you
: want to have it not displayed for anyone) could
: keep them out of things like the front page,
: headlines mailers, XML headline feeds, etc.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes, quite true, but like you just stated -- that's not the intended
purpose.  with the high likelihood that we'll implement category display
based on the PRIV setting for the category it wouldn't make sense to
complicate the issue by misusing that column in this fashion.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: The only problem I see is if we ever get into
: showing or not showing an article based on the
: PRIV of its category (not sure why we would do
: this since the article itself would have a PRIV).
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or, more importantly we may decide to add an admin only viewable category.
we wouldn't want to display that category on the front-end to anyone with a
PRIV less than 3.  so, not only would the articles within that category have
a PRIV of 3 (or some maybe even a 4), the category itself would have a PRIV
of 3 to keep it from being displayed except when necessary/appropriate.

thanks,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden
game://web.development