[thesite] user selectable style help

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Mon Nov 5 17:52:34 CST 2001

Jeff,

| ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
|
| yes, my point exactly.  unfortunately we're going to run into this problem
| again -- especially when we allow people to create their own stylesheets.
|
| ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

If we get to that part ... we'll see if the pre-existing ones are enough or
if people start to want to create their own.

| > I'll fix it when I do all of em.  I'm thinking to just
| > change the background colour of the blue box to a
| > lighter shade of dark grey.  That blue is just jumping
| > out too much.
| ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
|
| hold on there sister.  you can't just go changing someone else's
stylesheet.

Why not?  If they haven't defined/modifed an element, then it should be
changed.  (See below, I've agreed to add the other elements.)  There are
incorrectly or not at all defined elements on a few of the CSS's that Dan's
selected.  Hence why someone needs to review them and make sure the elements
have all been defined, and/or that the page is readable.  If the original
creator of the CSS wants to update it now, that's fine with me.

Looking at the same style sheet, the class for "side" is the same as "main"
which, if you look at this article:
http://test.evolt.org/article/User_Defined_Window_Targeting_w_JavaScript/17/
16286/index.html

It is displayed not as intended.  So, what should I do in this case?
Everything is still readable.

| this particular one that has the problem i mentioned is a redo of the
| original evolt.org site design.  changing the colors isn't the solution.
| that's why i brought up the idea of applying a class or something to the
| links within those two boxes (pagetitle1 & pagetitle2).  maybe something
| like this:
|
| .pagetitle1 a:link {  /* blah */ }
|
| or like this:
|
| a.pagetitle1:link { /* blah */ }

Will use this .. as its consistent with what's been used in the past.

Also need to add:

a.pagetitle1:visited
a.pagetitle1:hover

But, I still don't see why we can't change the colour of the box, i.e.
PageTitle1, since as a shade of "Main" it would be consistent with the other
CSS's we're using.  I think all the CSS's should maintain some sort of
consistency among themselves.

So, the question becomes, how close do we want to keep with the "theme" that
we have already for the CSS files for evolt.org?

<snip>

| what are we going to do when we encounter this problem again when we allow
| users to create their own stylesheets?  i say we address the problem right
| now rather than the symptom.

That's fine, I'll add the three new classes as indicated above.

Actually, I'm sure it would be a lot better if Isaac or Adrian did this
anyway, rather than me.

Michele