[thesite] Eliminating jargon in articles

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 12:58:43 CST 2001

> From: "spinhead" <evolt at spinhead.com>
>
> Confusing. If I have to stop with each group of letters that's not a
> word and decide if it's an acronym or an abbreviation, it adds
> complexity without (as far as I know) adding value. But, does using
> both abbreviation and acronym add value that I'm missing?
>
> [ . . . ]
> > What about including the acronym tag as well?
> > [ . . . ]

if you check out the code style guide (http://evolt.org/guide_code/),
you'll see that IE5+/win (for example) doesn't display a tool-tip on
<abbr>, but it does display it no <acronym>... N6/win does it for
both, thankfully...

as an author, though, you generally want to make your articles
easy to read and understand, and while i don't think <abbr> and
<acronym> is something we'll strictly enforce (i'm not gonna
expect it on HTML, for instance, given our audience), it's certainly a
nice thing to take that extra step when coding it...

IOW, if you don't want to take the time, that's up to you, but i think
it does add value...