[thesite] test.evolt.org change fyi

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Nov 15 22:24:54 CST 2001

> I don't think I'm seeing what it properly .. how come "Author" is so far
> away ?  Looks like a word "lost" ?  I'm not sure we need "Author
> at all.  At
> 640 x 480, it looks really poor .. the text is way too narrow.

that is courtesy of jeff or adrian's styling. you probably missed the
original which was a fairly accurate representation of this:
http://www.anarchitect.net/isaac/evolt/author2.gif

we may be better off dumping the author column. as you suggest, it's pretty
obvious anyway.

> I'd suggest eliminating "Total Ratings Received" .. I'm not sure
> it has any value .. and there are just too many words there, IMHO.

i think that's been added by jeff.

> The cubes are lost and alone at the bottom .. plus why have the cubes and
> the words indicating number of articles written?  We don't need both ..
> we've already decided on the cubes.  I think we're getting too granular
> here.

because the cubes are not an immediately obvious representation of articles
written, *and* i'd hope that the cubes gain wider use in the future (i.e.,
to represent overall involvement in various things besides just articles).

currently, they're our indicator of committment to evolt.org. take a
longtime contributor writing their first article, and they'll look wimpy.
iconically, i think they're cool. just currently limited.

anyway, for now they could be shifted to next to the username. also, i think
that the username here should be optionally (or by default) changed to full
name. i want to show my full name there but can i edit my username?

btw, when i click "edit account", the form is blank instead of prefilled
with my existing data. is that just a TEO thing? or because i've only filled
it in on WEO and not TEO?

also btw, the visited link status in that box is invisible (i'm using
mccreath's slate theme). do we need to class those links with .side?

> Email/MemberPage - I'd prefer to link only to the Author name (as it is
> now).  The author's email is on the member page, unless they asked that it
> be hidden.  No reason to link to it separately.

i think there is a reason to link to it separately and directly. saves a
click. encourages interaction between members/readers. the existing format
was "author info" with no indication (bar assumption) that the author info
also included an email address.

isaac