[thesite] Back to the Drawing board for UEUE?

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Fri Nov 16 14:55:45 CST 2001

| No. Unless you wanna donate teh $$$$$$$$$$...   ;-)

How's $10 / mo.?

| Er.. it would have to, unless it's a server-side redirect
| (which I really
| don't think it is). If it's a 301/302 (never remember which)
| client-side
| redirect, then it's basically saying "somewhere else" and if there's a
| Location header (which there will be here) then it's saying "it's
| somewhere else and if you want it, make another request for
| the file named
| in the Location header.

Would it need to be a client redir?

I know that cflocation doesn't send the headers to the client, so I think it
is a server redir... anyone can tell for sure?

From:
http://www.allaire.com/Handlers/index.cfm?ID=1471&Method=Full&Cache=

When using CFCOOKIE in a ColdFusion application, there several things to
keep in mind:
When a CFLOCATION follows a CFCOOKIE, the cookie will not be set.

This explains everything, imho:
http://www.cfobjects.com/forums/handler.cfm?event=threadSelected&msg_id=308

| So, the reason there's no cookie value with the next request would be
| because you've just set it to an empty string during the last request.

I disagree, the CF cookies construct is server only. It would be like
passing form data to the server and mangling it server-side. The browser
doesn't know anything about the data since HTTP hasn't done a round-trip.

To delete a cookie from the browser you need the following:

[per CF documentation]

Syntax
<CFCOOKIE NAME="cookie_name"
    VALUE="text"
    EXPIRES="period"
    SECURE="Yes/No"
    PATH="urls"
    DOMAIN=".domain">

NAME
Required. The name of the cookie variable.

VALUE
Optional. The value assigned to the cookie variable.

EXPIRES
Optional. Schedules the expiration of a cookie variable. Can be specified as
a date (as in, 10/09/97), number of days (as in, 10, 100), NOW, or NEVER.
Using NOW effectively deletes the cookie from the client's browser.

Do we still disagree?

<rory disposition="kindly" alt="8)"/>