[thesite] [bug] t.e.o. - Other Articles Written by this Author

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Nov 16 15:48:08 CST 2001

At 03:07 AM 11/17/2001, the great thesite-admin at lists.evolt.org spake thus:
>for what it's worth, i don't like the author's pic and article stats
>available in the article, simply because it's not relevant to the
>article -- all that stuff should be available on the author's page, which
>you get to by clicking on the name or userid link, just like we have now

+1 million.

I've just been skimming thesite, but when I looked at Jeff's example
(http://test.evolt.org/article/thesite/1/5692/), all I saw was a mass of
numbers. It looked more like census data than anything meaningful. All
those numbers shouting out at me, and I could see no overwhelming value to
them. For example, "comments received: 243". This is relatively meaningless
without a proper benchmark or context. Dan's been around a long time. His
figures are impressive. If some new writer writes his first article
tomorrow, his "numbers" will look pathetic compared to Dan. Does that mean
his article was useless? Or that he's a poor writer?

Numbers, ratings, averages, etc. are meaningless (from an information
design point of view) without a meaningful way to interpret and compare them.

Just my 2 paisa.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant