[thesite] [t.e.o.] [Bug] Recent Threads on thelist ?

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun Nov 18 12:43:03 CST 2001

On Nov 18, Martin had something to say about RE: [thesite] [t.e.o.] [Bug] ...

>>the downside is there is *lots* of crap in the sidebar.  adding more serves
>>only to confuse people more.  i wonder how much of the stuff there is used
>>by our userbase.  i wonder what is not used at all.
>
>As all the links in the sidebar have specific URLs (like the rating
>ones have 'rating' instead of the coded sidebar) it's easy enough
>to find out. Also, they serve a useful purpose in boosting us up
>the Google rankings as they're counted as links in the Google
>Pagerank algorithm.

Totally contradictory. They'd only increase google's pagerank value if
they were the same links, not specific urls with "rating" or "comment" in
the place of the article title.

Regardless, though, I think the point was "how much is too much in the
sidebar." I don't want to see articles that are only one screen long, but
the page is stretched to a screen and a half because of the sidebar.

Thanks,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com