[thesite] [bug] t.e.o. - Other Articles Written by this Author

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun Nov 18 22:38:00 CST 2001

At 07:08 AM 11/19/2001, Rudy opined:

(the language geek returns :)

>(perhaps this semantic blur results from the phrase "i could care less"
>which is actually a good example of irony... or sarcasm... or something...)

Um, no. The phrase "I could care less" is merely incorrect usage. The
correct form is "I *couldn't* care less".

Reference: http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/care.html

>the pic on the article makes us look like zdnet, webmonkey, et friggin
>cetera

I don't agree with you. It adds humanity to the site, and humanity is
sorely missing on the Web.

It also helps put faces to names. Now you have an inkling of who [xyz], the
guy who answers all those questions on [abc], is. It reinforces the
community feeling. We're all (I hope) friends here, and I like it when
people post pictures of themselves in outrageous Hawaain shirts (Hi
aardvark!) and weird bunny ears (Hi Isaac!) and even supposedly tickling
chimps (Hi to me!).

Newspapers and magazines carry pictures of their columnists. This is
because columnists don't have to restrict themselves to the bland, "just
the facts, ma'am" type of writing style that reporters usually have to
follow. This makes their writing more interesting. Over time, readers may
begin to identify with a columnist, and may even start saying, "That guy
thinks just like me". Without a face to match with a voice, this process is
much harder.

If an author doesn't *want* his photo up there, he's perfectly within his
right. If they do, however, we should encourage it. There's a good reason
that all those other sites you mentioned follow it.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant