[thesite] Where to put author info (was: ...Other Articles Written...)

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Sun Nov 18 23:40:29 CST 2001

> I think the question is where to put it. It makes sense to me to put it on
> the user page, since it's definitely more related to a user than an
> article. Rudy seems to feel the same way (from what I got reading his
> post) and that also makes sense to me -- because he's a data modeler.

Likewise, the author's name is equally more related to the user page than
the article itself. (Maybe we should only link to the user page by their
ID!) But this should *not* be a database where we represent our content
thinking of tables and columns. We can organise it that way in the database
(obviously) but it should certainly not be output visually in that manner.

I've seen photos of all/most admins and I can go some way towards putting
names to faces within our community, but I can't imagine what it's like for
many others who are either new to the wider membership, or unable to make
community gatherings due to distance or lack of confidence.

I strongly believe that author photos will go a great way to adding
personality and character to an otherwise (largely) lifeless site. They have
the potential to do more for fellowship and community within evolt.org than
many other issues we've discussed or implemented in the past.

If you don't want your photo on your articles, don't put it there. If you
don't want your bio-snip at the end of your articles, don't use that feature
either. We're providing the option for users to not participate to that
level if they either have an unhealthy love for database structures, or are
not happy with their visual appearance. :P

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au