[thesite] improved? rating layout

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Nov 19 03:18:16 CST 2001

Hi Jeff.

Good to see you're burning the midnight oil - again!
Get some rest, dude.  :)
(What am I saying? I stay awake till 4 AM)

At 02:34 PM 11/19/2001, .jeff opined:
>etc., but nothing that's a showstopper.  i'd like to hear your feedback on
>this even if it's as simple as "i like it".  if you don't really have
>anything to say, please respond with a simple [+|-]1.

Neat concept. You want suggestions? I've got some minor ones.

1) The "rated very good to excellent" statement, apart from really kicking
English in the balls, is vague. I feel that your gauge conveys the
information much better. Hence, the line is redundant.

2) Put a *little* more space between the rating gauge and the radio buttons
below. I get the feeling that the gauge is hogging the scene a bit, to the
point that the rating scale and button are receding from the page (red does
that to things). Another line's space would make the rating button stand
out while not losing the link to the gauge.

3) Trivial point: If we changed the border on the table from 3D borders to
a flat border, it would look better.

4) I see you've adopted the poor-excellent scale. Good choice. <g>

Unrelated comments:
1) The "Additional articles published on evolt.org by this author" section
is too much like a rectangular mass of lines. It needs a bit more leading
i.e., breathing room between lines. This helps readability (that underlines
already destroy).

Does that help?

Madhu

Madhu Menon