[thesite] Where to put author info

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Nov 19 08:48:53 CST 2001

At 07:53 PM 11/19/2001, rudy opined:

> >And the photos in individual columns:
> >http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1276-210-7889908-1.html
>
>170x110  but still tasteful

Jeff's photo is 170*86.

>but notice the absence of author stats at the top
>
>i guess my objection is that all that author info detracts from the
>article, which the simple photos in the examples you gave above do not

Hmmm... you *do* have a point.

And I think I was the one who screamed about the mass of numbers in the
first place :)

OK, Rudy, let's see what we can cut. What if we strip it down to:

  Name
  Pic
  Member since

(and the cubes tell you how many articles he's written. Well, not exactly,
but close)

Do you think that's OK? I'm just trying to gauge the level at which you'll
accept it. ;)

I think I understand you. You're saying that the user comes to read an
interesting article and he's suddenly hit with all these numbers, right?
And just as other sites don't mention how many page views a column got, you
don't want all these stats immediately visible either. Is that your contention?

>attempting to bolster the legitimacy of the article by pimping how good the
>author is, and in my opinion, we don't need to do that.
>the cubes does the same (bolstering legitimacy), although in a very
>tasteful way

Hmmm... the cubes do work, but their purpose is not immediately apparent.
(Yes, to *us* it is, but we are not the typical users). How can we make
people realise what they are without reading the FAQ? (thinking... thinking...)

>http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2001-8.shtml

Holy crap! Dan's quoting Bernard Shaw! What is the world coming to?   :P

>returning for a moment to the issue of photos on the front page, we have
>not yet mentioned the logistical problem of obtaining photos along with
>article submission, further delaying the publishing process, and the

Now, *that* is a very real problem. IF-THEN-ELSE? ;)

http://www.digital-web.com/profiles/rudy_limeback.shtml

Rugged pic, man! How did you land the tech editor job? :)

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net