[thesite] improved? rating layout

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Nov 19 09:04:30 CST 2001

At 08:01 PM 11/19/2001, aardvark opined:

>use CSS for that... and i'd rather not see red hard-coded as the
>gauge... red means too many things that don't apply here...

How about #006600 or #006633 instead of red? It would fit in a little
better with the colour scheme too.

>don't forget that leading is something that was gutted from the CSS
>(specifically from the class .content) because of the rendering
>wonkiness it creates in NN4.x...

I can't forget, 'cause I never knew :D

Couldn't we use an @import hack?

(btw, I can't remember the URL for the stats page, so could you tell me how
many site visitors used NS 4.xx ?)

>but the use of the default link color in there makes it hard to read
>the hyperlinks... it's been classed as side, but none of the
>hyperlinks have been classed accordingly...

It's dark text against a fairly dark background, and the lack of contrast
makes it hard to read. Add to that the smalled size of the text *and* the
underlines minus the extra leading, and we're really asking for it.

Michele asked if we could remove the underlines, but then we'd be breaking
with the established site convention of underlined links, and that's a
usability no-no. Either use underlines or don't (and make them more
prominent), but not mix n' match.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant