[thesite] Converting the DB to MS-SQL

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sat Nov 24 20:13:25 CST 2001

On Nov 24, matthew had something to say about [thesite] Converting the DB...

>*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>
>So is there any issue with doing a DTS from MS-SQL via ODBC to the Oracle Database to create a MS-SQL version of the DB?
>
>Are there any stored proceedures that will get dropped?

Not in the current version, no. But, the version in development uses a
stored proc that creates a random number in oracle.

>Anythink that might not transfer?

Doubt it, as far as the database goes.

>Could I just go through the script and manually create a MS_SQL database based on what the script call for?

The biggest problem you're going to have is converting all the SQL queries
in the code. There's a good bit of oracle-only stuff in there, especially
from when we played Performance Tweak Nazi and did just about everything
we could to crank out resultsets a bit faster.

Someone was already working on a MS SQL Server version. Was that you? If
not, you might want to hook up with them.

hope this helps some,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com