[thesite] UEUE -- Cleaning up with SOAP/XML-RPC

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Thu Nov 29 15:56:30 CST 2001

+| The cool thing with mod_perl is its integration directly
+| into apache, so you
+| can define a "Handler" script written in perl inside of
+| httpd.conf and have
+| all requests "filtered" through it.  Haven't heard of this type of
+| functionality with any other lang.

So, we could filter on the JS code for cookies, then, too?

What is your take on this idea?

Basically:

-> Johnny Cracker writes JS cookie slurping code and directs users to view
his site.

-> mod_perl handler looks at HTML code for the JS cookie code and issues a
403 (Forbidden) or something meaningful...

-> Roberta Valiant writes some cool, trustworthy code which does some user
tracking/likewise and wants to try it out on m.e.o

-> Roberta checks with admin by "registering" her cookie using page with an
email/html form/whatever.

-> I suppose that Bobby has to reregister her page every time she changes it
or some other limit, like a timeframe of 24 or 48 hours after a change
(takes into account development changes), since Johnny could potentially
write clean code, register that, then change it to suit twisted purposes.

Questions that come to mind are:

* Are the administration burdens too great? How many people use JS cookies
on m.e.o?

* Would members like Roberta put up with this? Maybe we could do a priv
level exception, so registration would not be needed by a certain priv
level...

* Can filtering of the HTML actually be done from the server to the client?

<rory disposition="more thought please!" alt="8P"/>